česká verze   english version

History of the building

 - Little Town Budget Hotel

 

House of the Three Golden Crowns
Not particularly eye-catching, nevertheless noteworthy is the house At the Three Golden Crowns. Originally late gothic building was probably built some time after 1465. Around twenty years later the building was converted to a hospice for the old and sick and for the more fortunate of beggars, many of them memorable characters. One story goes that one of the beggars was remarkably able in his trade and not a day went by when he didn't come back to the hospice with good earnings. But his luck was not to last. The others got envious and started tracking him to find out where he hides his coins. They only discovered that every evening he frequents a certain house in the Lesser Town and indulges himself in amorous adventures with a beautiful young maid but such behaviour was strictly forbidden by the hospice and the poor beggar was put in jail. He was only set free after he swore he would never set an eye on a woman as long as he lived or his had would be cut off. But it didn't take long and he started seeing his mistress again and although he acted with great care he got exposed again and was put to death just as he had been promised. The official chronicler says the story is true and this was not the end of it. When they decided to move the beggars bed the straw mattress seemed somehow heavy to them and when they cut it open they discovered it had been filled with silver coins which were later put to good use by the hospice. In 1590 the hospice was sold and converted into a residential building. Later it was owned by the Miseronis, well-known family of gemcutters, who were among the most respected artisans at the court of Rudolf II. In 1751 the house comes into possession of the Czech Chamber who used it to operate a pawnshop. During this era the state of the building deteriorated significantly and in 1829 it was sold the the Henèl family who decided to rebuild the house in the classicist style. At last it should be mentioned that unfortunately the original shield with the Three Golden Crowns is now gone.

PRAGUE Ghosts – Lesser Town
The Old Prague has always been a place which excited imagination of its inhabitants who then created great number of various myths and tales, mostly based on real and often tragic events, that have been thoroughly enhanced by the passing centuries. Or maybe the ghosts and fairies indeed roam the crooked streets of Old Prague...

Lesser Town Square
The Headless Swede has been riding around these parts since the Thirty Years' War (1618), when his army charged into Prague. All the soldiers pillaged around the Prague Castle and Lesser Town but the lust for gold of one of them stood out. On his own he plundered several churches and already started looking forward to his return home with the great fortune. One day he was coming back with his loot to the Strahov Monastery, where his army was housed. Unfortunately for him the word about his deeds had already spread and the people of Lesser Town did not linger, set an ambush and in the skirmish they chopped his head off. They took his gold and burried his body in the cemetery. His fellow soldiers missed him at first but in the turmoil of war they soon forgot about him for good. But the Swede was not to be forgotten. From time to time he raises from his grave, mounts his horse and with the head under his arm and an empty sack in his hand he rides the Neruda street looking for his lost loot. On his journey he sometimes meets with another headless figure, the Fire Skeleton, who every friday midnight at the House of the Three Golden Crowns mounts the wooden coach and rides uphill. Unfortunately nobody knows any more than by the house there used to be a monastery with a graveyard where the skeleton was probably burried.

 
Výběr keramiky
Výběr keramiky
Dobová fotografie domu 1900
Dobová fotografie domu 1900
Výběr mincí, 2. polovina 15. – 16. století.
Výběr mincí, 2. polovina 15. – 16. století.
 
Vyobrazení Malostranského náměstí v době vpádu Pasovských (1611)
Vyobrazení Malostranského náměstí v době vpádu Pasovských (1611)
Zachovaný blok historického nadloží
Zachovaný blok historického nadloží
 
 
 
 
 
Webdesign by D-sign.cz